Saturday, December 29, 2007

You say you want a resolution...

I always take the time between Christmas and the New Year to hunker down, review my life, get a handle on personal issues, and resolve to make some positive changes. This year's end was a little different. I got quite sick this fall and I'm taking this time to try to recover from my illness; drink more water, exercise, eat better, and get some much-needed rest. This has meant frequent napping. I'm grateful to have the time off work and the support of my family to be able to do this.

I've also spent some time reflecting. What do I need to do differently to achieve my goals? How can I ensure success? One thing I thought might be helpful is if I were to publish my goals, my intentions, my resolutions, so that if you see me not engaging those, you can call me on it and set me on the straight and narrow path I've set forth.

So, today I am publishing my first resolution. Please help me by letting me know how I'm doing.

IMPROVE COMMUNICATION: I resolve to be more careful and more direct in my communication with others in order to avoid misunderstandings. This would include abandoning the use of words like "moron," "idiot," and my personal favorite, "low-life, scum-sucking, red-neck piece of sh**." I also will make a serious attempt to avoid the "f" word especially when coupling it with previous soon-to-be-banned words. I will try to use words to heal not to hurt. I will quit making fun of people by pointing out their mistakes. For example, whenever a blogger misspells something, I will say, "The sentiment is right even if this person isn't bright enough to articulate it in a cogent, coherent manner," instead of saying "F-ing moron. Can't even spell. You can't trust anything s/he says." We all make mistakes and I resolve to look past those mistakes and into the heart of the person.

I will carefully explain my positions, ideas, and beliefs then open myself to authentically hearing other points of view. I will take other thoughts seriously and not say unhelpful things like "F-ing idiot is clueless. How could any intelligent person think such things? I know. This F-ing moron isn't intelligent!" There is a wide-range of intelligence out there and we must support all people no matter how smart or not-smart they might be.

I will avoid sarcasm. I will strive to be more direct rather than making snarky comments expecting people to be able to reach past superficiality and understand the deeper meaning. After all, not everyone is able to make those kinds of deeper connections. I need to be mindful of those who might be confused by what I say.

I realize these are ambitious goals. I hope I'm up to the challenge I've set forth for myself.

Next step: TEMPER AND IMPATIENCE

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with that. Despite your renewed convictions, I'm afraid none of the objects of your derision have gone away.

December 29, 2007 9:48 AM  
Blogger Billy Jones said...

And for my 1st resolution I'll try not to push you into breaking your 1st resolution.

Happy New Year, JW!

December 29, 2007 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious what the Vegas line on your success is. :-)

Even if you don't achieve your goals, we're here for you - with lots of libation to ease the pain.

December 30, 2007 10:36 PM  
Blogger Bora Zivkovic said...

This is a difficult goal you set for yourself ;-)

Happy New Year, jw!

December 31, 2007 9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that anything a person does to reduce the negativity pollution is a step in the right direction.

(I've tried a similar thing for my Lenten resolve for a couple of years and I'm still working at getting through the entire 40 days. Maybe THIS year!)

'Sides which, negative thoughts take their toll on the thinker and it sounds like you really don't need that just now.

So, good luck with your resolution and have a Happy & Healthy New Year!

January 03, 2008 4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so much more fun when you're going ballistic, though. Maybe you could just limit yourself to like, five rants a month or something?

January 06, 2008 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that you need to work on your subtlety, dear.

January 07, 2008 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home