Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A little dignity please?

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080611/NRSTAFF/282464659

A friend of mine served on a jury for a murder trial. Afterward she said, “If I’m ever murdered, just let the person go. I don’t want those autopsy pictures of my naked body passed around the court room like they were in this case.” She went on to describe the horror of looking at those pictures, those pieces of evidence.

Where is our humanity? Where is our dignity? Where is our “right to know” greater than someone’s right to privacy?

How is having those pictures out for public viewing going to change anything? Will we think less of the victim? We will think less of the perpetrators?

All I can think of are Eve Carson’s parents. I can’t begin to know what they are going through and I hope I never have to deal with something like this.

I wouldn’t be inclined to “let the person go,” but neither am I inclined to let these pictures go.

Let’s show a little restraint and dignity for a change.

1 Comments:

Blogger Roch101 said...

In this case, it's not about a right to know. Autopsy photos are not public record unless introduced as evidence at a trial, something that, presumably, would happen only because the prosecution thinks it needs them to make its case or the defense to make its.

June 11, 2008 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home