Thursday, August 24, 2006

Having a word with Grammar

Since I know quite a few writers, some of whom actually read my blog, I have a grammar question that somebody, maybe even a newspaper editor or two, might know the answer to. No, it’s not about run-on sentences. Or prepositions. Or, even, commas,

My question is about the word “Coconspirator.” Wouldn’t the word “conspirator” cover it? Doesn’t conspirator, by virtue of its definition preclude the need for “co?”

This is fuzzy to me, kind of like, “reverse discrimination.” The REVERSE of discrimination is lack of discrimination or opposite of discrimination, therefore “reverse discrimination” doesn’t make sense.

And while we’re at it, what’s up with the phrase “He can s**k my d**k,” as a negative? My understanding is that the average (and even above average) male is quite fond of that particular activity. You would think someone who would be willing to do that would be most revered. It doesn’t make any more sense than, “He can bite me!” Well, now if he bit you, YOU would be the one hurt wouldn’t you? It makes no sense. What, exactly, does that mean?

Language is a powerful and beautiful thing when used wisely. Let’s strive to use it wisely. And if you don’t agree, well, you can awww…use your imagination.

4 Comments:

Blogger Darkmoon said...

I guess "Bite my shiny metal ass" doesn't work then. Although it's a great quote from Bender off of Futurama. :p

August 24, 2006 1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where would we be without oxymorons and those who write them?

August 24, 2006 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! My challenge word was "SEXY!" Woo hoo!

August 24, 2006 10:23 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

LMAO!

August 25, 2006 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home