Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Rosenberg Principle

I was happy to see Jim Rosenberg's hints for losing weight. Those of us who face that struggle are always happy to hear how other folks are doing. It's nice to share stories and support one another. Jim is doing so well, I have a few questions that perhaps he can answer that will give me a jump start on my efforts to get healthy.

Drink eight glasses of water a day.
Water is a liquid, so can you substitute another liquid? Can "liquid" include diet Coke, wine, and Cream of Broccoli soup? Can we add tequila to the list of "liquids?"

Control portion size.
They say a portion of meat should be the size of your palm. I have really small hands, can I use Shaquille O'Neal's hands?

Share your dieting goals with the people in your life.
I told the people I work with about my goals. Now every time they come into my office they look to see if I'm eating. I have to hide my caramel popcorn in my desk drawer. When I told my family what I was doing and asked them for their "help" I got a lot of "Should you be eating that?" and "Didn't you just have a Weight Watchers Pizza fifteen minutes ago?" Sharing sucks!

Write down what you eat.
That gets old pretty quick. I also wrote down my weight and my measurements. I put it in code so that my family wouldn't know those numbers. (See "sharing sucks" above.) I can't remember the code, so I've either lost 17 pounds or gained 23 inches in my arms.

Read the label.
I ALMOST bought a muffin mix at Costco. The calorie count for one muffin was 620 PER MUFFIN. I discovered the Brownie mix was only 480 calories. I saved 140 calories just by reading the label!

Make smart substitutions.
Like, um "Light" butter for regular butter and "Fat Free" Half-and-Half? If Half-and-Half is half cream and half milk, what is "Fat Free" Half-and-Half half of? Hmm?

Snack a little throughout the day.
Define "a little." Be specific.

Keep yourself inspired and motivated.
Well, now, if THIS was possible, I wouldn't be where I am, now would I? I've tried the old, "Dear God, I'll quit using Your name in vain and blaming all of the world's problems on You, and will tithe, if I would wake up tomorrow a size 4." I'm not sure how else to be inspired. I think that's one of those places where God says, "Yeah, right. I've heard THAT before."

But YOU'VE inspired me, Jim! Thanks. Maybe if I listen to your advice and follow your example I WILL wake up a size 4. So, keep inspiring me Jim. I want a new wardrobe for Christmas so there's not a lot of time. No pressure or anything.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Janet -

* You can substitute all of those. I used Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol for long stretches.

* What happens between you & Shaq, stays between you & Shaq.

* Again: no good can ever come from expressing your feelings. They are shameful and should be hid. All of them.

* Write everything down, but improve your rationalization skills.

* As long as you sort of kind of think that someone said the stuff was healthy or something -- you can shovel it in all day long no limits.

As always, happy to help!

Jim

October 23, 2006 6:06 AM  
Blogger Chewie said...

JW, I wrote a post for you. It's not funny like yours are, but it reminded me that I want to get you a dash-mounted digital camera for Christmas.

October 28, 2006 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home